Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> (Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field) to Proposed Standard

2012-05-31 23:09:26
On Thu, 31 May 2012, The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document:
- 'Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2012-06-14. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

I commented on the previous version of this draft during WG last
call (as a WG non-member) and supported its publication then.  I
have looked over the changes in the present version and continue to
support its publication.  I believe that it addresses an operational
deficiency in current IPv4 specifications and largely codifies
existing pactice.

My one reservation is that I do not think it is strictly necessary
to ban re-use of the IPv4 ID value in retransmitted non-atomic IPv4
datagrams.  On the other hand, the evidence available to me suggests
that existing implementations overwhelmingly comply with this ban
anyway, so it does not seem to do any harm.

Regards,

C. M. Heard