Re: Colloquial language [Re: Last Call:<draft-hoffman-tao4677bis-15.txt> (The Tao of IETF: A Novice'sGuide to the Internet Engineering Task Force) to Informational RFC]

2012-06-01 03:10:44
---- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Niven-Jenkins" <ben(_at_)niven-jenkins(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: "Ole Jacobsen" <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:36 PM
On 31 May 2012, at 09:16, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Sounds like a difficult thing to do with any kind of predictable or
measurable outcome, although it might be fun to ask the Brits if they
understand everything the Americans are saying and vice versa :-)

I don't really have any issues understanding American English but I'm
regularly gobsmacked by how many North Americans struggle to understand
some things that I say :-)

<tp>
It's called irony; it got left behind on the beach, when the Pilgrim
Fathers crossed the pond.

On the other hand, it could just be that what you say <>is<> cricket.
Which would also be perfectly comprehensible to the Indian audience,
alluded to earlier (and to the remainder of the English speaking
world:-)

Tom Petch
</tp>

Ben