Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option

2012-06-08 05:41:41
Just to make public what I have hinted at privately, I think that steps
in section 4.1 may be somewhat underspecified.

They give the logic a client, one which supports both DHCP and DNS,
should
follow in order to find a KDC, with DNS information being preferred.
One scenario outlined in section 1 is of a user having entered userid
and
passphrase and waiting to be authenticated.  The steps imply a number of
timeouts in succession without specifying what balance to take of how
long
to wait for a server to respond versus how long to keep the user
waiting.
I would find it difficult to know what balance to strike without
guidance.

A related issue is that section 4.1 prefers DNS to DHCP for Kerberos
information but the Security Considerations stress the weakness of
DHCP and recommend authenticating DHCP.  What if DHCP is secure
and DNS is not?  Should DNS still be preferred?

Tom Petch