Re: Publishing the Tao as a web page

2012-06-13 15:17:54

--On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 16:06 -0400 Russ Housley
<housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> wrote:

Paul:

It implies that the current RFC will become the initial web
page content.  I think that is not the case.  Rather, the
initial content will come from draft-hoffman-tao4677bis.

Do you want draft-hoffman-tao4677bis to be published as the
final RFC version in the Tao series?

Russ,

If the community cares about developing and maintaining a clear
history of changes, it might be slightly advantageous to:

        (i) Make the current RFC the initial web page content

        (ii) Immediately replace it with a (possibly further
        revised) version of draft-hoffman-tao4677bis.

        (iii) Put the Tao aside until we are ready for another
        update.

I have trouble convincing myself that is worth even the marginal
extra effort it would take, but I can see the advantages if
others disagree.  On the other hand, publishing
draft-hoffman-tao4677bis in the RFC series seems to me to have
no value at all.  There should be an RFC 4677bis but it should
probably say little more than "Tao is now a web page at .... and
it is not being maintained in the RFC Series".

best,
    john