RE: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls-04

2012-06-14 11:13:45

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey Melnikov [mailto:alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:47 AM
To: apps-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls-04

On 04/06/2012 20:01, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer
for
this draft (for background on APPSDIR, please see

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectora
te
).

you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document
shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.  The review is not
copied to the IESG as the Last Call has not been announced yet.

Document: draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls-04
Title: PT-TLS: A TCP-based Posture Transport (PT) Protocol
Reviewer: Alexey Melnikov
Review Date: June 4, 2012

Standard, although some [mostly] SASL related issues remain.

This document specifies PT-TLS, a TCP-based Posture Transport (PT)
protocol.  The PT-TLS protocol carries the Network Endpoint
Assessment (NEA) message exchange under the protection of a Transport
Layer Security (TLS) secured tunnel.

(Note, I've reviewed -04, but I think all of this still applies to -
05.)
Additional issues in -05:

1) I didn't find the updated text prohibiting TLS renegotiation to be
any clearer in -05? Can you maybe try to explain what is allowed and
what is not?

[PS:] The editors will discuss this more and provide a response.

2) In the IANA Considerations:

The PEN 0 (IETF) PT-TLS Message Type values between 9 and 2^32-2
inclusive are allocated for future assignment by the IANA.  The value
2^32-1 is permanently reserved and is not to be allocated.

Whom does the last sentence apply to? This registry? Or the IANA PEN
registry being documented by draft-liang-iana-pen?

[PS:] I'm assuming your asking about the text at the bottom of section 6.2.
Registry for PT-TLS Message Types immediately below the table that defines
registry values 0 thru 8 for PEN=0.  It refers to this specific registry not
the PEN registry.