Re: Protocol Definition

2012-06-22 00:25:02
On 6/21/12 9:16 PM, Joel jaeggli wrote:
On 6/21/12 20:57 , Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
On 6/22/12, Randy Bush<randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com>  wrote:
All protocols in IETF are based on the Internet or/and the IP.

[ ... ]

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5921

I dunno - once you throw "based on the Internet" in there pretty
much anything goes.  Which is not to say that I think his definition
of "protocol" is helpful, since it does not appear to actually *be*
a definition.

But anyway, I was surprised by some of things for which I haven't
been able to find a definition in IETF documents - for example,
"state," although that's an extremely difficult term for which to do
an exhaustive search and it's very likely out there but hard to find.

Melinda