RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ccamp-rfc5787bis-05.txt>

2012-08-22 12:02:55
Hi Stephen,

No, there is no requirement for the control plane topology to match the data
plane topology in GMPLS. There is simply a 1:1 mapping between identifiers. We
might note, however, that there is a virtual overlay in the SCN such that
protocol controllers that control devices that are adjacent in the data plane
can be made virtually adjacent in the control plane.

Your final assumption is how an operator might manage their network. But it is
not a requirement since mappings can always be made at domain boundaries.

Adrian

From: Shew, Stephen [mailto:sshew(_at_)ciena(_dot_)com]
Sent: 22 August 2012 17:35
To: Acee Lindem; Ong, Lyndon
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-ietf-ccamp-rfc5787bis(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org; Andrew G.
(Andy) Malis
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ccamp-rfc5787bis-05.txt>

Thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly, this means that the SCN
topology must match the transport topology when applying OSPF for ASON routing.
This is because the Local TE Router Identifier and the Remote TE Router
Identifier in the Local and Remote TE Router ID sub-TLV are the same as the TE
Router ID in the TE Router Address TLV. If this is correct, then I think the
draft should state the assumption that the SCN topology and transport plane
topology are aligned. It's an important assumption to state since management
systems of SDH/OTN networks have topologies of the transport network in non-IP
address formats (esp. TL-1 TIDs) and these need to be mapped to TE Router IDs in
the SCN space when this draft is applied.  I assume it implies that there should
be a single SCN or non-overlapping IP address spaces if there are multiple SCNs,
for a given transport topology otherwise the SCN topology representing the
transport topology could have duplicate identifier values.

Stephen