Re: IETF 95 Date Change Proposal - Round 2

2012-09-10 12:52:05
lizhong(_dot_)jin(_at_)zte(_dot_)com(_dot_)cn wrote:
1-3 April 2016 will be holiday in China. If the time is 3-8 April, then
many Chinese attendees have to give up the holiday. Would you propose
another time? Thank you.

I think there's probably always either a major holiday somewhere or
another conference that the IETF wants to avoid conflicting with, so
avoiding significant holidays in all parts of the world is not a
practical pursuit.  The goal of this date change proposal seems to
be to avoid holding an IETF when there is a major travel disruption,
or days when travel and other public services are shut down, in the
place where the IETF meeting is to be held.  IETF 95 lists "target
location: Europe", and holding a meeting in Europe overlapping with
Easter would probably cause challenges.

However, I do wonder how major a holiday this is?

While there are parts of the world where it would not be challenging
to hold an IETF meeting over Christmas, international organizations
with major US+Europe participation seem to avoid doing so nonetheless.
Is this one a special case of similar magnitude?

Searching the web suggests that it may be:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingming_Festival

Since I'm not planning to attend in person, I'll keep my comments general.
  -- Cos