Re: In person vs remote participation to meetings

2012-09-28 09:03:21
On 9/28/2012 1:25 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
There are abundant examples of successful document editors and authors and the occasional area director working at a distance, some cases are harder than others.

The part that is hard to replace is, the opportunity for collegiality, for cross pollination, and many fine lunches and dinners.

Working group participants are free to do what they want of course.
The problem you cite here is actually a profound one. That work - the colligiality as you put it is lost in the process. None of the internal workings of those sessions unless they are formally recorded and made a permanent part of the standards record are really included today in the process. No cross correlation of any decisions made therein and in fact the problem is the IETF members seem to feel that the recording of how they get to where they get is not important. The problem is it is... very very important.

Todd