Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap-naming-05.txt> (Name Attributes for the GSS-API EAP mechanism) to Proposed Standard

2012-10-07 13:20:03
On 10/6/12 12:50 PM, "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

Thanks, now I understand better.  I would feel more comfortable if there
were a precise reference to what "well-formed serialization" means,
especially since there is a MUST here.  It ought to be possible to
determine algorithmically whether something conforms or not.  Sometimes
I get the impression that "well-formed" just refers to syntactical
correctness, whereas namespace considerations are more semantic.

Actually namespaces extend the notion of syntax in XML, so they're not
just semantic. When you parse while namespace-aware, there are normative
rules for that grammar that include having namespaces declared properly. I
think you probably want to reference the notion of "namespace
well-formed", so my suggested text could be adjusted to include that
instead of just "well-formed".

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xml-names-20091208/#Conformance

If there is a suitable reference to some XML standard, that is probably
better.

See above.

-- Scott