Re: Common sense, process, and the nature of change

2012-11-08 14:55:30
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com> wrote:
Both of these seem right to me, but the irony is that the fear of
unknown future incumbents is all by itself creating the warm, dark
place where we are growing the things that hinder the mission of the
organization.

I agree that this can be the case.  That's part of the reason I
believe putting energy into ensuring we share a common sense of our
mission is worthwhile; it will help us avoid the desire to institute
process changes that derive from a lack of trust.

Those efforts will likely not be sufficient, though, to tackle other
issues.  EDU team-style efforts may help us with both trust issues and
its resultant duck-nibbling, but they are not going to help with the
structural complexity of references (a different issue raised last
night).  I hope, though, that we can use a common touchstone for
evaluating process changes.  That may help us work out what efforts
are worth the time and effort not just for the IETF, but for the
Internet.

regards,

Ted Hardie