Re: Reducing time to publication: was Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way toRFCwith Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-02-01 03:29:22
----- Original Message -----
From: "SM" <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net>
To: "t.p." <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:51 PM

Hi Tom,
At 04:04 31-01-2013, t.p. wrote:
Time to publication of an RFC can be reduced by cutting out the
pauses,
which could achieved by highlighting when they occur.

[snip]

Such a list would shine a light on what is moving and what is not.
This
in turn would encourage, motivate, spur those on whom the draft is
waiting to progress it (and anyone else who could contribute).

There was an interesting quote from #overlyhonestmethods.  I cannot
locate it right now as the web site is whaling out.

There is a Daily Dose web page (see http://tools.ietf.org/dailydose/
).  The web page provides a snapshot of what's being "published" in
the IETF.  However, it does not provide a view of what is moving and
what is not moving.  I don't have a view of what an area or what a
working group is up to.

Sometimes it come as a surprise when working group participants hear
that their working group is being shut down.  It is possible to tell
whether a working group might be shut down.  It is possible to
identify some of the issues which can delay publication.  The data
for what you suggested is available from the datatracker.  The data
to identify WG activity is also available.  I don't know how to
assess progress though.

Yes, this is all available on the datatracker (which is the home page on
my web browser) but it takes me several minutes to go there and absorb
the content, repeated for every Working Group in which I am involved.
The datatracker has too much information, I have to scroll up and down,
since each entry takes 5 or 10 lines.  My idea is a one line summary for
each I-D, in a defined sort order (I-D name).  And I know how much more
productive I am when I get gentle prompts about what is going on, be
they via SMS, e-mail or whatever.  Sensible organisations, from
libraries to garages, are making the most of this technology - we should
do the same.

Tom Petch

Regards,
-sm