Re: Call for Comment: "Issues in Identifier Comparison for SecurityPurposes"

2013-02-05 10:07:49
From the title, I was expecting something a little deeper; I find this
I-D strong on current detail, less so on the underlying, perhaps
more lasting issues.

For example, as has been pointed out on these lists before, identifiers
refer to an identity and an object may have multiple identities in
different contexts and each identity may have multiple identifiers.  (Is
an SSN a different identifier to the same identity as a passport number,
or to a different identity? DISCUSS).  This I-D seems to skate over this
issue seeming to assume for the most part that there is one identity and
one identifier.  I think the I-D should at least mention to this
underlying complexity.

Equally, in the discussion of tests, the I-D rightly points out the
concepts of false negative and false positive but could go further.  The
gold standard test, one that is always right, is a fine concept that
does not exist in our engineered world.  Rather, most, if not all, tests
can be modified to increase the probability of false positives and
decrease the probability of false negatives, or vice versa; and which
outcome  is better depends on the context.  (The example of this last I
see quoted is a test for a serious disease, when a false (positive)
diagnosis is usually seen as the preferred outcome).  Again, this is the
sort of background I would expect to see some reference to.

The distinction between host names and domain names is also one that
surfaces regularly here.  Section 3.1 alludes to this but, for me, is
not clear enough about the definitions thereof that the IETF has made;
this recurs in section 3.4.  This last section seems imprecise about
e-mail addresses; RFC5321 is specific -  "The local-part of a mailbox
MUST BE treated as case sensitive" - so I think that that could be
brought out more strongly here.  There is a more general issue
underlying this, that a body such as the IETF produces a precise
specification but manufacturers, or other SDOs or even later WGs within
the IETF, then make it looser, with local  variations, which may in time
come to be taken as the standard.  In this case, a sharper distinction
could be drawn between an e-mail address, as the IETF has specified, and
an e-mail-like address, as used in other contexts.

Tom Petch