Re: Comments on draft-shafranovich-mime-sql-03

2013-02-05 21:43:58
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:
The question is what happens when the SQL file itself carries no
charset information, such as when using "mysql-dump" with the
"--skip-set-charset" option. According to MYSQL, UTF-8 would be used
in v5.1+ and ASCII in versions prior to that. Perhaps, we should leave
"charset" as an optional parameter for cases like these, and just take
out the default value.

That sounds to me like the way to go.  Perhaps a "MUST use" the
charset parameter when the SQL file carries no charset information,
"MUST NOT use" otherwise?

MUST may be an overkill, especially in cases where the web server has
no way of knowing what the charset is or whether it is present. I
would think that SHOULD USE and SHOULD NOT USE maybe a better
alternative.

Yakov