Showing support during IETF LC...

2013-02-22 18:46:42
Hi there,

So, I have an etiquette question[0].

When a draft comes up for IETF LC, you get the standard:
"The IESG has received a request from the Funny Orange Orangutang WG (foo) to
consider the following document: 'Orangutans Considered Harmful"
<draft-ietf-foo-dangerous-orangutangs-04.txt>

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 1970-01-01."

So, if I have issues with the draft, I know to send them to the list -- but
what if I simply want to show support?

Normally I figure that if the draft is the product of a WG there is already
demonstrated support, and so I don't bother cluttering up the list with "+1, me
too, FTW!, etc." but is this actually the right thing to do? What if I really
think the draft is important / useful; is it appropriate then? Or, if I think
that the draft may not pass otherwise? Is there any difference if it is not a
WG product?

What would Miss Manners say?

[0]: Asking etiquette questions on -discuss seems only marginally saner than
asking dining or travel questions on -attendees , but… :-P
--
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the
sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and

    -- Rincewind discussing Twoflower (Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic)