Re: Fwd: Re: [IAB] WCIT slides

2013-03-19 15:32:18

        As I mentioned in the mic during the IAB-sponsored Discussion of WCIT,
during the week I had the opportunity to talk and interact to some of
the policy fellows invited by ISOC (in general were people from the
national regulator or from the ministry of telecommunications -AFAIK-).
I also had the opportunity (along with Marcelo Bagnulo) to have
breakfast with them and to present a summary of the Internet ecosystem
and its complexities.

        From my experience during the week and the IAB-sponsored Discussion of
WCIT I have this comments that I said I was going to share in the list:

- It seems that there is not much understanding for governments in how
the Internet ecosystem works.

- Governments believe (or believed) that ITU is/was the common place to
discuss and try to resolve Internet matters.

- The Internet is an open entity with many organizations interacting
with each other and the relationships among them may be very complex. We
need to communicate this to governments and help them to interact with
all the Internet-stake-holders.

- Everyone has a place and a role in the Internet open model. Even
governments. We need to let them play, help them to find their place,
teach them the rules of the game and avoid to step in each others feet
(I used the example of an RIR standardizing protocols or the IETF trying
to mandate national laws)

- To solve many of the today's Internet problems requires interaction at
several layers (technical, policy, government and the separation between
them is very blur) and between a diverse set of actors. It requires
communication and coordination among all parties.

- The communication and dialogue has to be a common effort. Today it is
not enough to say that the IETF or the X forum is open to everybody.
Being open is a must, the next step is going out and create
communication channels, not wait for them.

- The Internet does not have a common API for governments and it may
never have one. Local APIs do not exists or are complex. [1]

- As technical community we need to inform governments which
technological solutions we already have. This minimize or eliminate
their desire to "re-invent the wheel" in closed forums or create
pseudo-standards that contradict ours.

        I think that is all. I hope it helps for future discussion about the
topic.

Regards,
as

[1] I borrowed the idea of the "Government API" from John Curran.