Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets-03.txt> (Security Implications of IPv6 on IPv4 Networks) to Informational RFC

2013-04-01 16:32:57
On 04/01/2013 06:14 PM, SM wrote:
 prevent them from attempting to connect to an IPv6 address and
failing is not broken DNS.

If there isn't any IPv6 connectivity it is useless to query for AAAA RRs
as the host is not going to establish an IPv6 connection.  Instead of
looking at the problem from that angle the proposal uses a "middlebox"
(not the correct term) to change things.  Once it becomes best practice
to tamper with DNS there is one more problem to solve as you can no
longer rely on DNS working according to specifications.

Welcome to the real world:  That cat has been out of the box for years
(no matter whether you consider that a problem, or a feature).

FWIW, my TP-LINK router does that, even if I don't want it to.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks