Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing-05

2013-04-08 05:52:32
On 02/04/2013 15:28, Richard Barnes wrote:
Thanks for following up, and for the re-send. Just to be clear, I do not mean these as blocking points.

On the former point, I might just suggest a minor edit to the introduction: OLD: "This document specifies the options for determination and selection of next-hop Ethernet MAC addressing under these circumstances." NEW: "This document specifies the options for determination and selection of next-hop Ethernet MAC addressing when MPLS-TP is used in a "pure Ethernet" manner, without any IP forwarding capability."

After various rounds of tweeking:

"This document specifies the options for the determination and selection of the next-hop Ethernet MAC address when MPLS-TP is used between nodes that do not have an IP dataplane."

The subtly is the network may be mixed IP capable and non-IP capable.

On the latter point, I can understand the desire to make the simple case simple, and the text at the end of Section 2 sends a clear warning. It does seems like GAP would also allow autoconfiguration without further NMS interaction. (Unless the NMS is configuring per-Ethernet-address policies, e.g., "forward packets with this label to 00:11:22:33:44:55". Is that the case?)
Yes. One case is a network that is generally NMS configured, and wants to use unicast MAC addresses, but wants to allow the craft people to plug in a new linecard without talking to the NMS. In such circumstances the only auto config would be teh MAC addresses.

Stewart