Re: p1: Via and gateways

2013-04-22 09:02:06
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:21:52AM -0700, David Morris wrote:

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013, Mark Nottingham wrote:

p1 Section 2.3 says:

However, an HTTP-to-HTTP gateway that wishes to interoperate with
third-party HTTP servers must conform to HTTP user agent requirements
on the gateway's inbound connection and must implement the Connection
(Section 6.1) and Via (Section 5.7.1) header fields for both
connections.

This means that accelerators and CDNs MUST generate a Via header on the
outbound connection. This isn't widely practiced, and I'm not sure it's
necessary. Comments?

I don't care about MUST, but I think the Via header can be useful for
problem determination. A smart content server could also adjust for
a detected accelerator and/or transcoder ... perhaps by avoiding
optimizations dependant on a direct connection and byte/byte transfer
between the client and the server.

So I'm very much in favor of keeping the Via: header.

OK but Mark is not discussing about removing it but keeping the MUST
since a number of existing products already don't add it and will not
for some of the reasons mentionned in this thread.

So I think that based on your feedback this MUST should be turned into
a SHOULD.

Willy