Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-mdr-03.txt> (Use of OSPF-MDR in Single-Hop Broadcast Networks) to Experimental RFC

2013-06-07 12:17:40
AB,

As Joel pointed out, your questions should have been raised during the OSPF WG Last Call, which you did not participate in. You (inappropriately) posted questions on the MANET WG list after the OSPF WGLC was complete, and several people responded, most of them stating that RFC 5444 is not required for this document:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15403.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15406.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15407.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg15408.html

Although I should not be required to respond to your questions at this point, I will provide a few additional reasons why RFC 5444 and DLEP are not relevant for this document. (These reasons also apply to the parallel document draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-or-02.)

1. This draft does not propose a new interface, it only describes how the interface previously specified in RFC 5614 (and RFC 5820 for the other draft) can be configured in the special case of a single-hop MANET. Therefore, your comments should have been directed to RFC 5614 (and RFC 5820).

2. RFCs 5614 and 5820 describe MANET extensions to OSPF, and one of the goals was to minimize changes to OSPF, so we decided to use OSPF packet formats (with minimal changes), rather than MANET packet formats that were designed without OSPF in mind. (This point is also made in the last message listed above.)

On the other hand, these are experimental documents, so your questions about using RFC 5444 and DLEP may be valid for future modifications to the proposed MANET extensions of OSPF (both RFCs 5614 and 5820). But they are not valid for draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-mdr or draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-or, not only because these two drafts have already completed WG Last Call, but also because they only describe how to configure RFCs 5614 and 5820 for the special case of a single-hop network.

Richard