Re: Gen-art last call review: draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-34

2013-06-18 06:42:23
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the massive review. A number of really good comments in here.
Below you will find my answers, comments, questions and in most cases
clarifications what I see us doing with your comment. These covers your
major and minor comments. The nits we will simply implement as we see
fit, if we have questions we will comeback with those.

WG, there are a number of issues in here that would be greatly helped by
your input!

On 2013-06-05 23:56, Robert Sparks wrote:
Document: draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-34
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: 05-Jun-2013
IETF LC End Date: 04-Jun-2013
IESG Telechat date: not yet on a telechat

The document is very long, and the structure is unusual - much of the
definition of the protocol itself is in the appendices. You are missing
an opportunity to make this document much shorter (thereby likely
increasing its effectiveness). Much of the jump in from RFC2326 was
importing the description of headers and responses from HTTP, tailoring
them to RTSP. That was a good exercise in that it highlights some issues
that would otherwise be non-obvious (and raises a few questions below).
But you followed the style from HTTP perhaps too closely - much shorter
descriptions without examples might have done the job better. Overall,
separating exposition and examples from the protocol definition would
make it much easier for an implementer to find the definition of the
protocol, and use the document as a reference when diagnosing a failure
to interoperate.

Agree, it would be differently structure if we wrote it from scratch
today. But it is an document that is 10 years in the making with dual
heritage in RFC 2326 and RFC 2068.

Major Issues

I'm not seeing what instructs an RTSP element on how to find the server
it would try to open a connection to given an rtsp or rtsps URI? Are you
assuming it would be doing A or AAAA DNS lookups?

Yes, using A or AAAA DNS records are assumed. No problem making that
explicit.

Should this protocol
use NAPTR/SRV?

Potentially, but as everyone have been using A records for all these
years, I think it is not worth defining it at this stage.

The document should be explicit. On a related note, (and
maybe I missed this), but where do you talk about what an element should
check in the server's certificate when connecting over TLS? Are you
assuming a common name match? Or are you expecting some SubjectAltName
processing?

This draft says in Section 19.2 the following regarding this:

   RTSP MUST follow the same guidelines with
   regards to TLS [RFC5246] usage as specified for HTTP, see [RFC2818].

Where section 3.1 (Server Identity) of RFC 2818 contains the following:

   If a subjectAltName extension of type dNSName is present, that MUST
   be used as the identity. Otherwise, the (most specific) Common Name
   field in the Subject field of the certificate MUST be used.

Isn't that clear enough on that matter?

The document should say more about when connection reuse is appropriate,
particularly when the connections happened because of an rtsps uri. Two
different names might resolve to the same IP address - reusing a
connection formed when looking at the first name (and verifying the
server's cert) is dangerous. A new connection needs to be formed (and
verified) instead.

I want to check my understanding of the issue you are seeing here. So a
client looks ups foo.example.org, gets an ip address A and establishes
an TCP/TLS connection and verifies that there are a SubjectAltName that
matches foo.example.org works. Then client is going to open
bar.example.com and looks up that address and gets the same IP address A.
Client matches A against existing connections and simply sends a request to
bar.example.com. Thus bypassing the certificate verification.

If we clarify that in the process of opening rtsps://bar.example.com the
client MUST verify that the server certificate for the TLS connection it
considers re-using has an SubjectAltName of bar.example.com, does that
resolve your concerns. If not, please explain the concern further.

The text talks about the option to queue S->C requests if there isn't a
connection to the client available. Ostensibly, this means the request
can go down some future connection. It's not clear how the server can
tell the right client connected. In particular, when using rtsps, how do
you prevent a malicious client from getting such a queued message that
wasn't meant for him?

Okay, this security issue I have totally missed but it is clearly
serious. I don't see any easy way of fixing this. Thus I would suggest
that we simply make it clear that a server MUST NOT queue the S->C RTSP
message, independent if they are requests PLAY_NOTIFY and TEARDOWN or

Given that the text talks about queuing S-C requests, it should
explicitly call out whether a server can queue a response if the
connection the associated request arrived on is no longer available. I
think what you want to say is that such a response must not be queued,
and must be dropped.

Agreed, lets mandate that they are dropped.

There are several places in the text that talk about using a 503
response with a Retry-After header to push back on traffic from an
element (the first is section 10.7).
* It's not clear what the subject of a 503 is. Is it intended to be
scoped to requests to the resource in the RURI of the associated
request? Is it intended to be scoped to the domain in that resource? Or
is it, like in SIP, intended to be scoped to the server issuing the
response, independent of what the RURI contained?

Very good question. It is far from obvious what the best choice is. And
I think even talking only about URI related scope may not be the best.

The case I have in mind is if a proxy that has several already
established RTSP sessions over a persistent connection. When a client
connected to the proxy requests to establish a new session the server
may have insufficient resource to handle the SETUP request and send a
503 answer. However if another client already having an RTSP session for
the same resource want to terminate that session it would be strange to
refuse to process the message as it will actually free up resources.

This makes me believe that you need to have a RTSP Session scope for any
request carrying a Session-ID and a general server, or host name scope
for non-associated that doesn't prevent established sessions to try.

Thoughts on this?

* If the intent is that the 503 talks about the server, then you should
clarify that a proxy doesn't simply forward 503 responses (after
rewriting CSeqs), and should probably have a response of its own.
Otherwise, clients that might be talking to two different servers
through one proxy would lose access to both of them when one of the
servers 503ed.

If we us a host and session scope then this issue would not be present.
However, if the proxy is actually overloaded that still needs its own
552 Proxy Unavailable response with the same scope rules as for the 503,
but where unassociated requests concerns sending to the proxy at all.

Section 4.9.1 lists values the Seek-Style header can take, but 18.45
lists a completely different set (which most of the rest of the document
uses). Should 4.9.1 be changed to use the values in 18.45? Are the right
strings being used in sections 13.4.4 through 13.4.6? Those appear to be
using strings from 4.9.1.

Yes, clearly an inconsistency issue that needs to be resolved.

The document will not stand if you delete some of the appendices. They
aren't supplementary material. Please consider restructuring the
normative sections back into the main document, or clearly identifying
which ones define protocol and which are background information.

I would like to characterize this differently. I think you will have a
working protocol of RTSP, but you can't use it for anything. This as you
will have no media transport (C), no media description protocol (D), and
no parameters format (F). But, these appendixes are replaceable with
other protocol solutions.

The Introduction section (1) says:

                                 The appendixes describe and define some
   functionalities that are not part of the core RTSP specification, but
   which are still important to enable some usages.  Among them, the RTP
   usage is defined in Appendix C and the SDP usage with RTSP is defined
   in Appendix D, which are two mandatory appendixes.

I note that we should add F to this list.

I think we should be clear in each of this appendices that if one
support Foo for the purpose of bar then this appendix defines
normatively how one does it.

Section 15 talks about a "transparent' proxy, but there is no
description in this document of what protocol such a thing should
follow. What bad thing happens if you remove all mention of
"transparent" proxies from the document? As far as I can tell, that
won't affect the protocol definition at all.

Not really, there is no definition of transparent proxies currently.
There is one security concern that make require some word smithing if we
remove transparent proxies.

From my perspective a transparent proxy is something that hijacks a TCP
connection towards an RTSP server to be a proxy between client and
server. Further is not detectable from the client's or the servers
perspective, but still may modify RTSP messages within the bounds of the
RTSP protocol.

But, in reality as we have proxies that are visible we should focus on
those and forget this bastard version.

The list of steps for establishing an SRTP cryptographic context in
C.1.4.1 says "This specification does not specify an explicit method for
indicating this SRTP cryptographic context establishment method, but
future specifications may." in the context of looking at the SDP. SDP
_has_ methods of indicating what keying mechanism is used with SRTP -
are you talking about something different?

I think you are considering the methods for keying SRTP that are
Offer/Answer dependent. The only RTSP SDP using method that exist is the
one defined in RFC 4567, which we are explicit on not using.

Why doesn't this section say
something like "the use of SRTP with RTSP is only defined with MIKEY
with keys established as defined in this section. Future documents may
talk about how an RTSP implementation might treat SDP that indicates
some other key mechanism be used"?

Yes, that is appears better, but we will have to make it clear that is
is regarding RTSP 2.0. Must also think if RFC 4567 needs to be worked
into that sentence.

Could you provide an example in the
document of an RTSP message carrying SDP reflecting the use of SRTP as
defined in this document?

The point is that the only difference is that he RTP profile is SAVP/RTP
or SAVPF/RTP in the SDP. Thus making such an SDP isn't difficult.
Question is if it provides a benefit?

Minor Issues

The document uses the notion of a "control connection" (it appears first
in section 2.5) without defining what that is, or what kind of
connections you might have that aren't control connections.

The "control connection" is the connection established for sending RTSP
messages on it. I agree it is undefined and could likely be replaced by
the "RTSP connection" or "connection for RTSP messages"

The update to the registration of the rtsp and rtsps schema call out
that there are changes that can result in interoperability issues. It
doesn't say what the issues are, or who might encounter them. I can
infer that the point is that there might be problems if a URI following
this updated registration were to be processed by an RTSP 1.0
implementation (or any other application that relied on the previous
definition). It would be better to say that explicitly, and talk about
how a previous implementation is likely to act when presented with a URI
that exercised these new changes.

I have gotten these comment elsewhere and have prepared a text update
for section 4.2:

   The details of the syntax of "rtsp" and "rtsps" URIs has been changed
   from RTSP 1.0.  These changes are:

   o  Support for IPV6 literal in host part and future IP literals
      through RFC 3986 defined mechanism.

   o  A new relative format to use in the RTSP protocol elements that is
      not required to start with "/".

   Neither should have any significant impact on interoperability.  If
   one is required to use IPv6 literals to reach an RTSP server, then
   that RTSP server must be IPv6 capable, and RTSP 1.0 is not a fully
   IPv6 capable protocol.  If an RTSP 1.0 client attempts to process the
   URI it will not match the allowed syntax and be considered invalid
   and processing will be stopped.  This is clearly a failure to reach
   the resource, however it is not a signification issue as RTSP 2.0
   support was needed anyway in both server and client.  Thus failure
   will only occur in a later step when there is a RTSP version
   mismatch between client and server.  The second change will only
   occur in RTSP messages, that are explicitly identified as being RTSP
   2.0 messages, thus a RTSP 1.0 only agent will not be required to
   parse this variant.

Clear enough?

The above is Edited In.

 (It's not clear to me that all of the
thread at www.ietf.org—msg01567.html
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg01567.html>
concluded - I see how the fragments question ended, but what about
things like the addition of IPV6 literals? In particular, I'm not
finding a response where Ted Hardie agreed that the potential for
interoperability failure had been adequately addressed).

I talked to him in person about this just after the discussion to better
understand his comments. If we want a confirmation I think we need to
loop him into a discussion regarding this particular issue.

I provided a clarification to the designated URI reviewer which accepted
the request.

I think you've said something different than you mean in 5.4 item 1. I
think you mean to say that an RTSP implementation would ignore any body
that happened to come in message that MUST NOT contain one. What you've
said is that the part of the parser that's doing framing has to stop
framing at the end of the headers, and that such an errant body would be
parsed as a separate message. As written this would keep someone from
using an Internet Message Format parser since it would have to ignore
any Content-Length that might have appeared, even though it wasn't
supposed to.

Yes, it is clearly sufficient to ignore the body, and likely much better
from an error handling consideration.

We will propose a text change.

In section 10.4, it looks like a server can keep an RTSP transaction
pending forever if it sends 100 responses often enough. I assume the
client's recourse if it doesn't want to remain involved is to close the
connection. If that's right, it's worth calling it out explicitly in
this section.

This is likely a good suggestion, and works fine if the client simply
wants to abort the request and is anyway abandoning the RTSP session.
However, the question is what to do if just the request becomes
irrelevant and instead want to do something else with the RTSP session.
A single client may abandon the connection, open a new one and issue a
request, to a potentially undetermined session state. Yet another
complexity is what a proxy does that has multiple RTSP sessions on the
same server. Here the rules for processing in order the different
requests and their relation to answers in the same order.

This makes me want to weaken the recommendation on re-using an
connection for multiple RTSP sessions.

Somewhere, probably in section 15.2, you should be explicit that a proxy
that is multiplexing requests MUST keep the requests in the same order
as they are folded together. You can infer that, or things simply break,
but saying it explicitly would be better.

Probably, as a clarification to what is already present in section 18.19
(CSeq header)

   Proxies that aggregate several sessions on the same transport will
   have to ensure that the requests sent towards a particular server
   have a joint sequence number space, i.e., they will regularly need to
   renumber the CSeq header field in requests (from proxy to server) and
   The proxy MUST increase the CSeq by one for each request it
   transmits, without regard of different sessions.

Both GET_PARAMETER and SET_PARAMETER are listed as keep-alive methods in
10.5, but the note in section 13 on table 7 only uses that as a reason
for requiring SET_PARAMETER. Why doesn't it also apply to GET_PARAMETER?
And why is this only required at servers? "Required" in this section
means Mandatory to Implement, I think. If that's right, it should be
made explicit. If that's not right, what does it mean?

Yes, required is Required to implement in the server. The GET_PARAMETER
is not required as only one method for keep-alive is necessary. Thus,
the ones that needs to use GET/SET_PARAMETER for keep-alive will have to
choose SET_PARAMETER.

It is only required at the server, as it is in the client implementation
choice of how to ensure keep-alive works. As this is also dependent on
the media transport support one has, the client may not need a method
based keep-alive.

Clarifying "Required" should be straightforward.

Section 13.8 makes a good argument for always putting parameters to be
retrieved in a body. Why are you keeping the complexity of also allowing
them in headers?

Some arguments are probably lost in the passage of time. However, the
headers specified to be suitable for inclusion in a GET_PARAMETER
requests are used for providing these information also in other methods,
thus we have not wanted to duplicate the representation of this
information in both a body and a header form.

Section 13.10: "That should not provide any benefit." is not clear - can
you expand it a little?

   If the REDIRECT request times out following the rules in Section 10.4
   the server MAY terminate the session or transport connection that
   would be redirected by the request.  This is a safeguard against
   misbehaving clients that refuse to respond to a REDIRECT request.
   That should not provide any benefit.

The intention here is to make clear that there shouldn't be an incentive
in the protocol to not acknowledge a REDIRECT request and instead simply
go on as it wasn't received or seen. Thus, we want to make clear that
the server may simply terminate the session in those cases.

I propose we change this sentence to:

Thus, removing any incentive to not acknowledge the reception of a
REDIRECT request.

Edited In

In Section 13.10 you talk about clients _sending_ media (search for
"send or receive media"). Do you mean anything more than possibly RTCP?
Can you make that clear in the section?

You mean this sentence:

   After a REDIRECT request has been processed, a client that wants to
   continue to send or receive media for the resource identified by the
   Request-URI will have to establish a new session with the designated
   host.

The mentioning of send media is likely a RECORD reference. In this case
I don't see any issue with removing it.

Edited In

Section 15.2's second paragraph appears to be the only place the proxy
rewriting of CSeq in order to multiplex requests is defined, and it is
very loose. It would be easy for a reader to fail to recognize this as
an interoperability requirement. Please consider expanding how this is
specified when addressing the comment about above about keeping requests
in relative order when multiplexing.

There are text in Section 18.19 CSeq also. But I do think I agree that
this should be clarified.

You follow the principle of saying a client should treat a response with
an unknown response code, the same as it would treat the x00 of that
class (e.g. 400 for an unknown 4xx). However, you do not define what a
response code of 300 means. How is a client supposed to handle an
unknown 3xx response?

Sorry, I don't quite get this comment. Section 17.3 says:

   If a 3rr response is received for a request in relation to
   an established session, the client SHOULD send a TEARDOWN request for
   the session, and MAY reestablish the session using the resource
   indicated by the Location.

   If the Location header is used in a response it MUST contain an
   absolute URI pointing out the media resource the client is redirected
   to, the URI MUST NOT only contain the host name.

As explained above unknown 3XX codes will be 3rr codes, as 304 isn't
unknown.

If you don't believe this is sufficient can you please be more explicit
about the issue?

As written, a client and server can use HTTP Basic authentication over
TCP that is not protected with TLS. Consider restricting it's use to TLS
only. Are you sure you don't need to say anything RTSP specific about
DIGEST computations (I don't think you need to go as far as SIP did
talking about DIGEST, but I'm surprised you haven't run into issues
relying only on 2617 literally.

Are you referring to Section 19.1 here?

Yes, I would not have any issue with requiring Basic to be combined with
TLS. I think that is appropriate.

When it comes to DIGEST, are you referring to section 22.4 in RFC 3261?

That section indicates that some clarifications are likely needed.

How does 411 Length Required for this protocol make sense? Given that
you've restricted the protocol to TCP and require the Content-Length
header to be present if there is a body, in what circumstance would a
server need to send a 411?

It really should occur for malformed messages, which we could use 400 as
response. So yes, 411 could be removed.

Section 18.19 requires senders to increment CSeq by 1. We have a
reliable transport with no request retransmission, so there should never
be gaps at the receiver. Should the receiver check and react some way if
there are gaps? I think you should explicitly tell them not to even
look. If you agree, why is incrementing by one important as long as you
are always strictly increasing?

I agree that for TCP or other reliable transports the receiver
SHOULD/SHALL ignore gaps. For any future specification of an unreliable
transport of RTSP messages this would be needed. As noted in Appendix G,
CSeq is retained for future support of unreliable transport.

You call out several places where RTCP is essential to allow RTSP using
RTP to work correctly, yet section C.1.2 sets up conditions where RTCP
MUST NOT be sent. Why are you allowing those instead of treating the
conditions you describe as errors?

Good question. I think it is a case we must ensure that you can
negotiate and configure your desired way, without really considering if
it should be allowed at all. I think mandating usage of RTCP with RTP
for RTSP 2.0 would be good. But, I think that needs to be verified with
the WG.

cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto:
magnus(_dot_)westerlund(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com