RE: [abfab] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-abfab-eapapplicability-03

2013-06-18 11:16:19
Sam,

I was concerned that something along these lines was lurking in here :-(.

I think this is the crucial "running code" consideration to start from:

Practically speaking, it will be a while before peers implement channel
binding for network access.

Assuming that network access does not use channel binding, how does one
avoid the proxy attack on network access authentication via application
access authentication when the latter is introduced?

For environments where EAP is used for network access authentication,
the suggestion of a "MUST use" requirement for channel binding with
application access authentication sounds like the right approach:

If all the application access peers support channel binding, then you
could potentially require the eap-lower-layer attribute or similar for
application authentication and work securely in environments where peers
for network access have not been updated yet.

Is that plausible and reasonable in practice?

This would be in addition to the "MUST implement" requirements for AAA
servers, EAP serves and peers doing application access:

I know you're correct that AAA servers and EAP servers need to implement
channel binding for network access in such environments.

Thanks,
--David