Experience with Online Protocol Testing

2013-06-28 11:55:02

[I posted this question a little while ago to the WG chairs mailing list and
got no response.
Maybe my question is too trivial but I thought I should try it on the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list as well to
get some feedback.]

Hi all,

when concerns about the lack of interoperability surfaced mid last year
in the OAuth working group we (Derek, and myself) tried to figure out
whether we should schedule a face-to-face interop and/or to develop an
online test suite. We got in touch with Lucy Lynch (ISOC) and she helped
us to find developers to work with us on the test software.

Roland Hedberg, one of the guys working on the project for OAuth
testing, presented his ongoing work in the OAuth working group, see
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/slides/slides-86-oauth-2.pdf

OAuth is a bit more complex since it involves more than two parties and
we were looking for a test framework that could be re-used to develop
the desired results more quickly. To our surprise we couldn't find
a test framework that we could easily re-use since most test frameworks
really focus on different types of tests. Of course, we might
have looked in the wrong direction.

Here is how it works at the moment:
* Imagine you have developed an OAuth-based identity management server
(that contains an OAuth 2.0 authorization server) and it runs somewhere
on the Internet (or in your lab). You don't need to have access to the
source code to execute the tests.
* You download the scripts that Roland & Co had developed and configure
them. Of course you will have to create an account at your IdP as well.
* You run the test scripts against the authorization server and the
script plays the other OAuth 2.0 parties in the exchange. The script contains a
number
of test cases (around 60+ at the moment) and determines whether the IdP
responds correctly in the exchanges.

I know that these ideas have come up in other working groups in the past
already (such as in SCIM, which also has a test server up and
running).

It would be interesting to hear what others have been doing and what
worked for you or what didn't.

Ciao
Hannes