Re: IETF 87 Registration Suspended

2013-07-04 01:40:23
Hello Barry,

On 2013/07/04 9:39, Barry Leiba wrote:
Registration for IETF87 in Berlin has been suspended to consider the impact
of a change in the VAT rules on Registration Fees.  We expect registration
to open as soon as this matter has been clarified.

I don't understand what the effect of VAT rules is on money collected
in the U.S. in U.S. Dollars.

It's usual in the U.S. that taxes on goods bought and sold are levied as a consumption tax, at the place (i.e. in the state) where the object is bought (and therefore presumably consumed/used).

However, that's not a given, and VAT stands for value added tax, and the value addition/consumption can be presumed to happen at the meeting in Berlin (and there's no need for consensus here, it's the opinion of the local tax authority that counts :-().

Regards,   Martin.

But I guess we'll hear more soon.

Barry