Re: IAB Statement on Dotless Domains

2013-07-12 10:24:32
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Today most people have come to accept my position on NAT, in fact it has become
the mainstream position.

Or perhaps I was not. But I guess it's software written by those three
companies listed below that's "soo good" that makes quoting clear :P

But none of the people who spent time trying to slap me down or get me to stop
expressing a heretical view have ever said 'hey Phill you were right all along'.

Because you're not? (If the quoting worked this time and you really said
NAT's have a value other then being a cheap band-aid for those with lots
of money)

And I don't expect things to be different this time round. But in ten years
time it will be obvious that
domains are going to be dotless and three of the biggest dotless domains are
going to be called .apple and .microsoft and .google and they are going to be
the companies writing much of
the software used to connect to the Internet and their commercial interests are
not exactly best served by supporting clapped out thirty year old software
programs.

I notice you are missing .oracle and .exchange and .mail. Is that
because you can't take any more slaps on the back or because you know
too many companies that have servers in their domain that would get
bypassed by your awesome magic three software vendors listed above?

Dotted domains were a bad idea in DNS to start with and giving a perpetually
renewing contract to Network Solutions to operate the best one was sillier. We
should embrace the opportunity
to throw a bad engineering decision into the dustbin of history not try to take
the side of the TLD operators whose rent seeking opportunities are threatened
by the inevitable transition
to a dotless scheme.

I can't wait for your draft suggesting a fix based on a DNS zone that
whitelists/blacklists those words that can be used dotless withou harm,
after using /etc/hosts through ansible fails to scale.

Paul