RE: Internationalization and draft-ietf-abfab-eapapplicability

2013-07-17 08:38:56
[BA] Exactly.  It's just an applicability statement, not a prescription
for world peace :)

Sure: we need more than an applicability statement update to achieve
peace in the EAP world. But if an applicability statement update is all
we can work with, we could try and do our best in that one.

[BA] The goal of an applicability statement to provide guidance as to the
applicability of a particular standard.
Using a marine analogy, it can say "it is ok to take a boat of this size out
into the ocean", but it doesn't have to provide a detailed map of every harbor.
So it seems like there is a need to address application-layer protocols that
don't encode their identities in UTF-8 over the wire today.  Is EAP applicable
to these protocols?  If so, is there something they need to be aware of?  Going
beyond that is probably for other documents, not this one.