Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-19 10:03:06
Just wanted to point out that both Apple (for iOS) and Google (for Android)
have strongly discouraged the use of IMEI to identify devices for the
purposes of application software.  There are privacy, quality, and
availability issues with their use.  Apple has removed the ability of
developers to work with the (often IMEI-derived) “Universal Device ID” (see
http://blogs.avg.com/mobile-2/apple-ios-7-puts-unique-device-ids/) and
Google has officially deprecated their use:
http://android-developers.blogspot.ca/2011/03/identifying-app-installations.html

I’m not sure from reading the draft what the goal of having this URN
namespace is, but if it involves encouraging its use by application
developers, I’m pretty sure it’s a bad idea.

 -Tim