ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

2013-09-16 09:40:36
[First post here]

Hello,

I'm a contributor to RFC 6350 - but I'm listed there by name only, and
there is nothing to differentiate me from some other Andy Mabbett (the
problem is no doubt worse for people with less unusual family names).
Like many such contributors, I don't want to publish my email address
as an identifier, in case I get spammed, and if I give an affiliation
or even the URL of my website, that may change over time.

This problem is addressed by "Open Research Contributor Identifiers"
(ORCID; <http://orcid.org>),  UIDs (and URIs) for scientific and other
academic authors. Mine is below.

As the website says: "ORCID is an open, non-profit, community-driven
effort to create and maintain a registry of unique researcher
identifiers and a transparent method of linking research activities
and outputs to these identifiers".

Individuals can sign up for an ORCID at <http://orcid.org/> and then
include it in their attribution in RfCs, in their research papers, and
in other publications.

I'd like to propose that we strongly encourage, or even mandate, this
for future RfCs.

How should I proceed? Is this list the best place for discussion of
this topic? Does it need an RfC? If so, would someone care to assist
me, please?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing