Re: feedback & blog entry

2013-09-24 16:01:45
Hi Jari,
At 11:22 24-09-2013, IETF Chair wrote:
You are referring to attendance and authoring RFCs? I agree, of course. I apologize for using a metric that is, at best, partial. My only defense is that it was what I had easily available :-( I do realise that real engagement from different types of organisations and people and areas of the world goes to far more fundamental issues than showing numbers of people. True involvement and effect is what counts. As we know, that does not necessarily correlate with any particular statistic...

The metric which you provided on your own time has been useful. With these statistics there wouldn't have anything to look at to get a view of IETF work. I agree that true involvement and effort is what counts. Showing the number of people might be the least bad way to understand what's happening and whether the efforts are successful.

Ok. Which comment are you referring to? I'm sorry, too much e-mail to know what you are referring to. I'd be interested in better metrics.

From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg79780.html

  "It's pretty tempting for new participants to submit drafts that they like,
   and maybe reaching out to their office mates as co-authors, but to be
   effective in the IETF, participants have to learn how to collaborate with
   folks from other IETF sponsors"

How does one collaborate in the IETF? How does one contribute in the IETF? What's the level of involvement at the country level? Is the involvement from a country increasing if we look at the number of people involved? Please note that the questions are not meant as questions for you to reply to.

I am not sure whether there is a way to generate statistics to get a view of the above. It may be worth pursuing if other people believe that it would be a better metric.

Regards,
-sm