Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

2013-10-08 12:36:44
Fred,

Hi, I would like to make a small amendment to what I said in my

4) Section 5, change the final paragraph to:

  "As a result of the above mentioned requirements, a packet's header
  chain length MUST fit within the Path MTU associated with its
  destination.  Hosts MAY discover the Path MTU, using procedures such
  as those defined in [RFC1981] and [RFC4821]. However, if a host does
  not discover the Path MTU, it MUST assume the IPv6 minumum MTU of
  1280 bytes [RFC2460]. The host MUST then limit each packet's header
  chain length to the Path MTU minus 256 bytes in case additional
  encapsulation headers are inserted by tunnels on the path."

I would claim that additional encapsulation headers are already considered in
the 1280 minimum MTU.
as in: 1500 - 1280.

cheers,
Ole