Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-24.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing) to Proposed Standard

2013-10-27 00:56:13
At 06:07 21-10-2013, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis
WG (httpbis) to consider the following document:
- 'Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing'
  <draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-24.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2013-11-04. Exceptionally, comments
may be

In Section 1:

  'This HTTP/1.1 specification obsoletes and moves to historic status
   RFC 2616, its predecessor RFC 2068, and RFC 2145 (on HTTP
   versioning).  This specification also updates the use of CONNECT to
   establish a tunnel, previously defined in RFC 2817, and defines the
   "https" URI scheme that was described informally in RFC 2818.'

RFC 2616 is currently a Draft Standard.  According to RFC 2026:

  "A Draft Standard must be well-understood and known to be quite
   stable, both in its semantics and as a basis for developing an
   implementation."

And:

  "A Draft Standard is normally considered to be a final specification,
   and changes are likely to be made only to solve specific problems
   encountered.  In most circumstances, it is reasonable for vendors to
   deploy implementations of Draft Standards into a disruption sensitive
   environment."

Given that draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-24 and the other drafts in the series is an update of RFC 2616 it is appropriate to move that RFC to Obsolete. The drafts in the series is a substantial revision (according to the Document Shepherd). I can understand moving a Proposed Standard to Historic. I read the thread about Issue #254 [1]. I didn't find much discussion about moving the specification (RFC 2616) which is supposed to be stable to Historic. What are the implications of doing that?

RFC 2616 is updated by RFC 6266 and RFC 6585. As a note there is about explanation about RFC 6266 in draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24. In my opinion it is worth considering whether the HTTP status codes specified in RFC 6585 should be included in draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24. That RFC could be included in the series if it is less work.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. msg-id: 4E3978E0(_dot_)6040807(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de