obs-date, was: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24

2013-10-28 09:01:24
On 2013-10-28 09:07, S Moonesamy wrote:
In Section 7.1.1:

   "The preferred format is a fixed-length and single-zone subset of
    the date and time specification used by the Internet Message Format
    [RFC5322]"

The ABNF imports obs-date from RFC 5322.  "GMT" is defined in "obs-zone"
(see RFC 5322).  There is the following in the section:

   "For example, messages are occasionally forwarded over HTTP from a
    non-HTTP source that might generate any of the date and time
    specifications defined by the Internet Message Format."

I listed this as a minor issue.  I am not suggesting any change as "GMT"
is used in other header fields.  I'll defer to the HTTPbis Working Group
as to whether there should be a note about "GMT" with an explanation
that although "GMT" is deprecated the use is widespread.

Actually, HTTPbis has its own obs-date:

        obs-date     = rfc850-date / asctime-date

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24.html#rfc.section.7.1.1.1>

So there doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Best regards, Julian