Re: #507 integer value parsing, Re: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-24

2013-11-07 09:31:16
On 2013-11-06 16:50, Julian Reschke wrote:
On 2013-10-29 01:13, S Moonesamy wrote:

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
this draft (for background on APPSDIR, please see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate
).

you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

In Section 2.1:

   "In the byte range syntax, first-byte-pos, last-byte-pos, and suffix-
    length are expressed as decimal number of octets.  Since there is no
    predefined limit to the length of a payload, recipients ought to
    anticipate potentially large decimal numerals and prevent parsing
    errors due to integer conversion overflows."

There is a RFC 2119 "should" in Section 3.3.2 of
draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-24 about integer conversion and a
reference to Section 9.3 of that draft.  I may have missed integer
conversation issues in the reviews.  I suggest doing a verification to
verify that there is adequate text where it is applicable.

We discussed this during this weeks WG meeting, and the consensus was
that we want to make both instances a "MUST".

The proposed change is here:
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/507/507.diff>

Best regards, Julian

...and applied in <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/2480>.