Re: FEATURE REQUEST - with regard to being able to link existing IPR's to newly published documents

2013-11-13 12:34:34
Is this possible (or desirable)?

For example - let’s say I have IPR on an image compression scheme used for fax.
I tag the declaration that it applies to fax. Someone writes an RFC that does
video compression. It turns out that RFC infringes (unwittingly, of course) on
my IPR. It is not my fault that the patent system is so screwed up that a use
of my IPR covers something completely different, but that is the way the system
works today, and it is the way a NPE operates.

On the desirability side: if an IPR holder is active in the IETF and
participating in new work their IPR covers, it is their responsibility to keep
the IPR data base up to date, or they may lose enforcement of their rights. If
an IPR holder is no longer active in the IETF and new work infringes on their
IPR, how is that any different than new work that infringes on anyone’s IPR?

On Nov 11, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>