Re: [Json] BOMs (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

2013-11-18 11:42:41
On 2013-11-18 17:08, Pete Cordell wrote:
----- Original Message From: "Tim Bray" <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
This feels backward, because BOMs are actually useful for UTF-16 and
UTF-32, but essentially useless for UTF-8.

Not useless if you're trying to tell the difference between a hand
editted Windows cp-1252 (or whatever it's called) encoded text file and
a UTF-8 encoded text file.

Ye.

I don't think we need them for any other reason, but I think some
international Windows users would be thankful if you allowed them for
that case.

So I gather "non-international Windows" users never need non-ASCII characters? :-) (Yes, that explains lots of I18N brokenness originating from certain countries...)

Best regards, Julian