Re: London

2013-11-25 10:51:53
On 24 Nov 2013, at 16:53, Ben Laurie <benl(_at_)google(_dot_)com> wrote:

To no extent: the article is nonsense.

Actually, it is a PR piece trying to sell some services.

Let me expand on that: most of the legal framework cited by this FUD is
EU-wide, so we would have had the problem in Maastricht, in Paris, in Berlin, …

There are countries in the EU with additional legal problems here; as far as I
understand Italy is among them.  We don’t have to hold an IETF meeting there.

In Germany we have the legal fiction that “Stoererhaftung” (§ 1004 BGB) applies
to providing Internet access.  This places not a legal requirement, but a
(limited) liability that might apply if something actually happens.  It’s too
bad the IETF hasn’t been implicated in “Stoererhaftung” in Berlin; the
resulting legal action would maybe help getting rid of this unconstitutional
court-invented fiction.  (I’d also love to see the supermarket be implicated in
“Stoererhaftung" that sells spray paint.)

Grüße, Carsten