Re: Eliot's draft-farrell-perpass-attack thread

2013-12-11 13:44:47
(Top posting to save everyone time)

For whatever it is worth, I find myself in complete agreement
with Dave and with his statement of the issues.  In particular,
if our desire is to make a statement of concern (superficial or
otherwise), we should do that and not wrap it in an
apparently-technical document and/or set of commitments for
which we can be held accountable for not delivering.  If we
actually do want to make commitments for action, this document
is, at best, immature.

The recent "where are the real threats" discussions about https
and the roles of DNSSEC and various types of certification,
including distinctions between data integrity and data quality
for security purposes, reinforce that view.

Personally, I favor the commitments for action but only if they
are associated with a clear understanding and presentation (both
tactical and strategic) of what we reasonably can do
technically.   I don't believe the value of expressions of
concern beyond what was already demonstrated in Vancouver is
sufficient to justify the costs of arriving at consensus on them.

best,
   john

--On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 09:15 -0800 Dave Crocker