Re: Gen-Art telechat review of draft-farrell-perpass-attack-04

2014-01-23 10:06:56
"Eliot" == Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

    Eliot>    On 1/23/14, 12:02 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
    Eliot> * If we were doing DDS/NAPTR work today I should be able to
    Eliot> ask whether confidentiality is a requirement and if so why
    Eliot> DNS is an appropriate substrate.

    Eliot>    And herein lies the problem.  It would depend on the
    Eliot> record's application, and how information was released that
    Eliot> couldn't otherwise be relatively easily gleaned.  Would you
    Eliot> find that a sufficient answer?  And what if you didn't?  Who
    Eliot> should decide?

I find it a sufficient answer; I'm not actually sure I agree with it but
it's definitely the kind of answer I'm looking for.
Whether I agree with the answer doesn't matter for a hypothetical.

Who decides?
Our standard process applies for figuring out whether we as a community
have decided something--the IETF rough consensus process.
The specific details of that process are kind of complex, but I think we
both agree to a fairly strong approximation what that process is.  We
probably disagree on details about corner cases that don't come up
often.