Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

2014-02-03 13:16:35
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>

After looking through the agenda and thinking about end to end
confidentiality mechanisms, a few questions/suggestions:

The recent news reports that I have seen are that the NSA's pervasive
monitoring focuses on "metatada", "who is talking to whom".  And the
trouble with end-to-end confidentiality mechanisms is that they do not
hide the destination address; indeed they can't.  And it seems to me
that almost no confidentiality systems have been focused on
confidentiality of message destinations.

So I think some thought needs to be put into what can be done to
thwart pervasive monitoring when the information to be concealed is
the identity of the endpoints.

Dale