Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version

2014-03-04 04:42:44
Thanks for moving this along.

On 04/03/2014 07:27, Pete Resnick wrote:
==Issues Still Open==

Should the Ombudsperson be a fixed size team defined in this document?
A team of three was suggested.

I would suggest something like "one person or a small team" for
now. Experience will tell us the right answer.

Should the Ombudsperson (all of them) be selected from the IETF
community, or should wider choice be allowed? There was some suggestion
about restricting to the community although no measure of previous
community involvement was suggested.

Again, I think experience will tell us. I think it should be
left flexible for now.

Where should the Ombudsperson go for professional and legal advice?
Should there be retained professionals to supply advice on an on-demand
basis?

If we have an "amateur" with limited experience, s/he will need
advice and I think we should ask ISOC to stand ready to provide
or fund such advice as and when needed. Don't over-design.

Who appoints the Ombudsperson? Who removes them? Who reappoints? Is this
too much to expect of the IETF chair?

I think we should recommend that the IETF Chair seeks advice
from the IAB Chair and the ISOC President, but I think it's
entirely reasonable to give the Chair this responsibility.

How to handle the case that the person responsible for appointing the
Ombudsperson is the Respondent.

It seems sufficient to specify that the Ombudsperson cannot be
fired if such a case is under way.

To whom are appeals made?

On balance I don't like the proposal in the -00 draft. It is
too inward-looking and we need outside eyes in such a case.
I think we should explore the ISOC Board option (or perhaps
better, a subcommittee of the ISOC Board).

How to handle the case that someone on the appeals body is the
Respondent or otherwise involved in a case.

That person is recused; standard operating procedure.

Should the pre-remedy output of the Ombudsperson be a "sanitized
summary" of all events as agreed by the Reporter and Respondent (and the
Subject if an individual exists)?

Ideally. But if such agreement is not possible, the Ombudperson
publishes the summary with a note that the other parties do not
agree with it.

    Brian