Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-09.txt> (XML Media Types) to Proposed Standard

2014-03-07 11:53:54
I wonder if the IETF has the authority to do what is called for in s8.2,
where the change controller for +xml is changed from IETF to W3C.  I am
minded of the change of the MIB module for Ethernet in the First Mile
from IETF to IEEE which started off saying something similar but ended
up as RFC7124 which documents more what the IETF is giving up, leaving
the IEEE to document what it is picking up. I appreciate that we have a
post from Paul Grosso to this list saying that the W3C approves of this
I-D, but then, as ever, he, like me, is contributing as an individual.
Should we have something more formal from the W3C to confirm that they
are taking up the burden of responsibility for this?

Note that s8.2 may not be wholy clear to those who have not followed
discussions of this on the list.

RFC6838 says that a registration of a suffix must contain
"Person (including contact information) authorized to change this suffix
registration."

RFC6839, which this updates, says in s4.1
"   Author/Change controller:  The Apps Area Working Group.  IESG has
change control over this registration. " which is the current status.

This I-D, in s8.2, says
"Change controller:  The XML specification is a work product of the
World Wide Web Consortium's XML Core Working Group.  The W3C has change
control over this specification."

Discussion on the list clarified that in the second sentence, 'this
specification' refers to the specification of the registration of '+xml'
and not to the specification of  XML itself!

The insertion of the first sentence in s8.2 of this I-D may seem a
little odd, but RFC3023, which this I-D supersedes, says
"The W3C, and the W3C XML Core Working Group, have change control over
the XML specification."
which is interesting but irrelevant, IMO.

Tom Petch