RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-psc-updates-03.txt> (Updates to MPLS Transport Profile Linear Protection) to Proposed Standard

2014-03-26 15:34:04
Hi,

I have one issue I want to bring up as a last call comment. I discussed it
briefly with Eric and we agreed it is something that needs wider discussion than
just a late editorial change.

Currently 6378 does not describe the format of PSC TLVs and
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-itu introduces one without defining the format tightly.
Therefore, this document contains a simple statement of the fields and meanings
in a TLV.

However, 6378 also does not state how to handle:
- a malformed TLV
- an unknown TLV type

We need to add some simple text to cover this.

Options for each of the above are:
- ignore the TLV but process the message
- report the TLV but ignore the TLV and process the message
- ignore the message
- report the message but ignore it
- reject the message

Thanks,