Re: SMTP RFC: "MUST NOT" change or delete Received header

2014-03-29 11:18:49
On 3/29/2014 5:36 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Mar 29, 2014, at 5:51 AM, Eliot Lear<lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>  wrote:
>There is at least some value in retaining trace headers both for
>debugging and anti-spam (mostly validating what one would expect to for
>a given sender see), headers added by an MSA can entail privacy concerns
>that (IMHO) outweigh debugging considerations.

RFC 7044 (An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for
Request History Information) did a pretty nice job of addressing very
similar privacy concerns.

1. Even a document as 'small' as 26 pages is large enough to make a simple document reference be vague; can you point to the specific text that is relevant to this thread?

2. In spite of email's having 30 years of operational experience with this issue, RFC 7044 does no more than make a generic reference to email in the Background section. For the purposes of the current thread, that makes applying the RFC 7044 reference even more challenging. It would help if you explained how we ought to apply its lessons to the question at hand.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking