Re: SMTP RFC: "MUST NOT" change or delete Received header

2014-03-31 07:41:52

--On Monday, March 31, 2014 08:36 +0100 Dave Cridland
<dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 31 March 2014 00:52, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

the truth is, i have not used received: headers to
authenticate/debug [0] since yesterday.  but it's not yet
09:00, so there is still time today.

I'm assuming you realise that nobody is arguing that all
received header fields be stripped?

The problem I've run into is generally machine [~auto]
submitted email, where the network itself is "sensitive"
(let's pretend it's a big bank), and the administrators don't
If there's a problem with the mail, the big bank can track
down what happened easily enough, and you can point your
finger at the correct big bank.

As I pointed out earlier, this is precisely the case for which
there is language in the message submission spec.  It has
nothing to do with SMTP across the network.

   john