Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-14 11:11:27
Two observations.

First her point that the pace of change at " which the real world adopts
software has become orders of magnitude faster."

This is true at the applications layer but Internet layer has not seen
fast adoption of new services and protocols by networks. IPv6 has been
dismally slow.  This maybe one reason why IoT deployments are focussing
at application layer services and ignoring IP other than implement
ICE/STUN/TURN which otherwise would be unrequired complication.

Much of this has been outside standardisation controls being in the
decision making hands of the financial managers of network operators and
their customers.

Secondly maybe she should have stood for the IAB. We should have people
involved who are prepared to shake not just the cobwebs but the
spiders.  Somehow the link between having power (knowledge etc) for
defining "standards" and having the power to define their adoption have
diverged.

If true then IETF could benefit from having more users and operators (of
all sizes and shapes) involved - perhaps?

George, Wes wrote:
I’m surprised that no one has sent this out
yet: http://gigaom.com/2014/04/12/why-i-quit-writing-internet-standards/

seven years, engineer Vidya Narayanan decided it was time to move on.
Although she still believes that these organizations make the Internet
a better place, she wonders about the pace of change versus the pace
of organizations."

My thoughts-

There are some nuggets of truth in what she says in this article, and
in some of the comments. I think that the problems are real, so
there’s value in taking the criticism constructively, despite the fact
that the author chose to focus on the problems without any suggestions
of solutions.

    "while the pace at which standards are written hasn’t changed in
    many years, the pace at which the real world adopts software has
    become orders of magnitude faster."
    …
    "Running code and rough consensus, the motto of the IETF, used to
    be realizable at some point. … In the name of consensus, we debate
    frivolous details forever. In the name of patents, we never finish.”
    …
    "Unless these standards organizations make radical shifts towards
    practicality, their relevance will soon be questionable.”

I don’t have too many big ideas how to fix these problems, but I’ll at
least take a crack at it in order to spur discussion. My paraphrase of
the problem and some discussion follows.

- We’ve lost sight of consensus and are too often derailed by a vocal
minority of those willing to endlessly debate a point.

Part of the solution to that is reiterating what consensus is and is
not, such as draft-resnick-on-consensus so that we don’t confuse a
need for consensus with a need for unanimity. Part of the solution is
IETF leadership helping to identify when we have rough consensus
encumbered by a debate that will never resolve itself, without
quieting actual disagreement that needs continued discussion in order
to find a compromise. I don’t have good suggestions on how to make
that second half better.

- We don’t have nearly enough focus on running code as the thing that
helps to ensure that we’re using our limited cycles on getting the
right things out expediently, and either getting the design right the
first time, or failing quickly and iterating to improve

The solution here may be that we need to be much more aggressive at
expecting any standards track documents to have running code much
earlier in the process. The other part of that is to renew our focus
on actual interop standards work, probably by charter or in-group
feedback, shift focus away from BCP and info documents. Perhaps when
considering whether to proceed with a given document, we need test as
to whether it’s actively helpful/needed and ensure that we know what
audience would be looking at it, rather than simply ensuring that it
is “not harmful” and mostly within the WG’s chartered focus.

Thanks,

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.

-----------

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject
to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or
action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this
E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.

--
Christian de Larrinaga
FBCS, CITP, MCMA