Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-17 09:21:14
On 14/04/2014 19:01, Simon Pietro Romano wrote:
Hi,

I read the post from Vidya and I have to say I totally agree with her. As to running code, in particular, my impression is that if you are used to implement prototypes of ongoing standards and you're neither a big company nor a member of the IETF elite of gurus, the best you can buck for is an informational "call flows" RFC. Standards Track stuff is left to those who (seem to) do the high-level specification work. This happens because people seem to rush for editing documents as soon as a new WG is chartered, but then they progressively reduce efforts when such a WG starts to lose momentum and is not latest fashion any longer.
Or when they made to the famous authors list of the WG document, which is considered at THE major achievement.
I've seen that problem a few times and it's very annoying.
I would be in favor to re-evaluate who really contributed to the document full life cycle when the document leaves the WG.

Regards, B.

Finally, coming to interoperability, it is hard to work on it if your implementation is the only one available. In the long run, I do acknowledge the fact that you get tired of doing all that hard work and investing so many cycles in a highly underestimated engineering activity.

My two cents,

Simon