Re: Last Call: <draft-iab-2870bis-01.txt> (DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements) to Best Current Practice

2014-05-28 11:49:35
On May 28, 2014, at 9:32 AM, Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Paul:

|      MUST support IPv4[RFC0791] and IPv6[RFC2460] transport of DNS
|      queries and responses.

This needs an addition: "Some servers in the root name service might not
support IPv4, and some might not support IPv6." Without that, some people
might think that each server must respond on both layer 3 technologies, but
they do not.

I would like to see each and every root server support both IPv4 and IPv6.

So would I. But is that a *requirement*, particularly given that the root
service seems to run just fine today without it?

I propose that the addition is still needed, despite what you and I would like
to see.

--Paul Hoffman