Re: [afnog] ISOC ION Africa and ISOC SPAM Workshop at the AIS in Djibouti - 2nd June 2014

2014-05-29 10:54:19
Hi Kevin,
At 03:05 29-05-2014, Kevin Chege wrote:
More information on the ION Conference is available at http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/ion/djibouti2014/.

Following the ION Conference, we will hold a workshop called "Combating Spam - Technical Options for Spam Mitigation and Network Management". This tutorial will offer network operators and ISPs an opportunity to hear from experts from within Africa who manage spam mitigation processes within their networks. The tutorial will also highlight bulk email best practices and network management options. The session will provide a forum for collaboration and exchange of spam mitigation techniques, best practices, information, tools, techniques, and strategies that address problems related to spam or unwanted forms of electronic communication that may contain malware, botnets, and phishing within Africa.

I read the Internet Society submission to the Council Working Group on International Internet ( http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/ISOC%20ITU%20CWG%20Internet%20Submission.pdf ). According to that document:

"These can be located at http://www.ietf.org. The following are some examples of some standards track documents that could be useful: RFC 6430, Feedback report type value, RFC 5039 SIP and Spam, RFC 2505 Anti-spam recommendations, RFC 2635 Guidelines for mass unsolicited mailings and postings. The IETF is similarly developing mail authentication technologies, like DKIM (RFC 6376, RFC 5585, etc.), SPF (RFC 4408) and DMARC ( www.dmarc.org ). There are also numerous informational documents on best practices to mange spam and email filters that can be located
   on the web site noted above."

In my opinion the examples of standard track documents in the above is incorrect. I am copying this message to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org as there are people on that mailing list with expertise about email.

Did the IAB provide any advice about this SPAM workshop?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy