Re: email standards (was: Re: facilitators at ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)

2014-09-23 16:28:06
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 05:17:49PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

I use both OpenPGP and S/MIME on a regular basis and in no case where I use
one would the other be suitable primarily because of the differences in trust
models you describe.  While they both sign/encrypt email their use cases are
disjoint in my experience.

Apple's Mail.app on desktops allows an S/MIME key to bound via
Keychain to a particular correspondent, without placing any trust
in whatever CA may have issued the certificate.  This makes S/MIME
usable with a TOFU trust-model.

So for me the sweet-spot has been S/MIME with direct (leap of faith)
trust.  I am disappointed when I can't use TOFU with S/MIME in some
other MUAs.

--
        Viktor.