RE: History behind RFC numbers

2014-10-02 06:47:36

We have RFC version zero we may need a new version. We can re-structure the
RFC-number so we can say Area (A one digit), WG (WW two digits). The RFC
numbers in digits meaning (1AWWSS). This structure type is 1 (or version
1), our current structure with no meaning can have type 0.

[Hosnieh] Interesting idea :-). Probably worth to discuss in rfc-interest
list(?!). Because at the moment when someone talk about RFC number and if you
didn't want to use it, you don't know which area it is related to unless you
check everything on the internet. Sometimes the titles are not also good chosen
and so general and one need to review the abstract and sometimes introduction
so that he/she understands what area it is related to.

 Furthermore, within meetings/on-list of a WG we don't need to refer WG-RFC
with large numbers but just say in speech our SS numbers for the WG, but when
writing within draft we need to reference full number of RFC1AWWSS or RFC02460
or RFC01.

Best,
Hosnieh